Civic Theatres Toronto Naming Contest
Official Contest Rules and Regulations ("Contest Rules")
NO PURCHASE OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Entry into this Contest constitutes your acceptance of these Contest Rules
1. SPONSOR: The Civic Theatres Toronto Naming Contest (the "Contest") is sponsored by Civic Theatres Toronto, 1 Front Street East, Toronto, ON M5E 1B2 ("Sponsor").
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open to residents of Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory of residence at the time of participation, with the exception of: employees of the Sponsor, the City of Toronto, its agencies and corporations, their Board members and Councilors, contest administrators, and members of their immediate family (spouse, parent, siblings and children) and those living in the same household as the foregoing ("Entrant"). By participating in this Contest. Entrants acknowledge compliance with, and agree to be bound by these Contest Rules including, but not limited to the eligibility requirements set out herein. Entrants who do not comply with any of the Contest Rules are subject to disqualification by the Sponsor, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
3. CONTEST DATES AND TIMES: The Contest starts on April 9, 2018 at 12:00 pm EDT at which point Entrants are invited to submit a suggested name to replace that of "Civic Theatres Toronto", and ends on April 27 at 11:59.59pm EDT after which time no further name submissions will be accepted ("Name Submission End Date"). The Contest voting period for the short-listed names to select a name will commence on May 9, 6:00 pm EDT, and will conclude on June 3, 2018, at 11:59:59 pm EDT after which time voting will be closed. The sole determinant of time for the purpose of this Contest is the Sponsor’s microsite records for the entry information.
4. HOW TO ENTER: Entrants may participate online only by visiting the Contest website at www.civictheatrestoronto.com and following the links and instructions to submit a name and complete the online entry form. For purposes of this Contest, receipt of an Internet entry occurs when Sponsor’s microsite records the entry information. Entrants may submit numerous entries per visit to the microsite and may visit the site multiple times. Each name submitted will be registered and time coded.
The Sponsor's dedicated microsite is the official time keeping device for the Contest and any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed, or other illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple accounts, identities, or registrations, all in the Sponsor's sole discretion, shall be deemed as tampering and may disqualify the individual from entering, participating and/or winning the Prize. Entry forms that contain false or incomplete information may be void. Entries that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions of the Contest Rules will be deemed void. All entries become the property of the Sponsor upon receipt. No correspondence will be entered into except with the Selected Entrant. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures, etc.) does not constitute proof of receipt. The sole determinant of time, for the purposes of receipt of a valid entry in this Contest, will be the Sponsor’s microsite recording of the entry information.
5. NAME SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Name submissions must be appropriate for all audiences. The name (i) may not be inappropriate, indecent, offensive, libelous or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized, or disparaging to the Sponsor as determined solely by the Sponsor; (ii) must not be harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, obscene, violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way, as determined solely by the Sponsor; (iii) may not violate or encourage others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation; (iv) may not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or property rights or any other third party rights; (v) may not contain commercial advertising, including but not limited to logos, brand names, and slogans, other than those relating to the Contest; (vi) may not include any viruses, worms, corrupt files, Trojan horses, or other forms of corruptive code or content that may harm or interfere with the Contest website, any third party websites and/or the proper conduct of the Contest; and (vii) if found to be in violation of these rules will be disqualified from the Contest.
6. CONTEST PRIZE: The Contest prize (the "Prize") will be awarded to one individual ("Selected Entrant"), and will consist of the following:
a) A total of 4 (four) tickets to event(s) at the Sony Centre in 2018
b) A total of 4 (four) tickets to event(s) at the Toronto Centre for the Arts in 2018
c) A total of 4 (four) tickets to event(s) at the St. Lawrence Centre in 2018
If the Selected Entrant resides outside of the Greater Toronto Area, but in Canada, the Sponsor will provide economy round trip transportation from the closest major airport or appropriate ground transportation depending on the distance, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor, for two people to Toronto, along with two nights complimentary accommodation in a Toronto hotel of the Sponsor's choosing (accommodation and taxes only) plus one complimentary dinner (including taxes) for two for a single (one) trip to Toronto. Total value of prize offered shall not exceed: $2,500.00.
Additional taxes, if any, otherwise than as stipulated in the Contest Rules, are the responsibility of the Selected Entrant. The Selected Entrant assumes any and all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by entering, participating in this promotion or use or redemption of the Prize. The Prize is non-transferable, non-refundable and non-changeable once issued, must be accepted as awarded and has no cash value; provided however that if the Selected Entrant wishes to transfer a pair of the prize tickets offered, arrangements can be made by contacting the Sponsor. The Prize (or any portion thereof) cannot be combined with other discounts, promotions or special offers. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an alternate prize of equal or greater value if advertised Prize is unavailable at the time of award.
One Prize only will be awarded. The Prize will be available at the office of Civic Theatres Toronto, 1 Front Street East, Toronto, ON M5E 1B2 during regular business hours. Selected Entrant may also make alternate arrangements with the Sponsor for delivery of the Prize.
7. WINNER SELECTION AND CONFIRMATION: On or around May 2 or 3, 2018, the Sponsor’s jury comprised of seven individuals who are part of Toronto’s diverse arts and cultural organizations representing the communities served by the Sponsor (the "Jury") will review the qualifying name submissions, identify a short list of up to five finalist names reflective of the current and ongoing activities of the Sponsor to be voted on by the public.
Once the Jury has selected up to five names, those names will be submitted for approval by a Committee of the Sponsor's Board of Directors ("Board Committee"). Once approved by the Board Committee, the Sponsor will announce publicly the final list of names selected for the public vote. The public will be encouraged to visit the Contest website at www.civictheatrestoronto.com and to follow the instructions listed on the website so that they can vote for their favourite name in the final list. The voting of the finalist names will commence on May 9, 6:00 pm EDT and end on June 3, 11:59:59 pm EDT. Sponsor is not responsible for votes not received due to difficulty accessing the Internet, service outage or delays, computer difficulties and other technological problems.
Entrants will be eligible to win the Prize upon meeting the following criteria: a) they must submit a name that is registered by the Sponsor; b) the name and Entrant must meet all of the Contest requirements and the name must be submitted for consideration by the Jury; c) the Jury must short list the Entrant's submitted name for the public vote; d) the name must be approved by the Board Committee; e) the name receives the most votes during voting; and e) the Board of Directors for Civic Theatres Toronto approves the name receiving the most votes; and f) they must sign and return a Declaration of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release form, all in the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
On or around June 21, 2018 at approximately 12:00 pm EDT, the Sponsor will confirm the successful name for the organization. Confirmation of a successful name will be based on the name receiving the greatest number of votes and after having received Board approval. The Sponsor will notify the Entrant who submitted the successful name ("Selected Entrant"). The Selected Entrant will be deemed a winner if he/she meets all of the eligibility criteria set out in these Contest Rules. All release and declaration forms must be signed, and all criteria met before the winner is officially declared.
If multiple Entrants submit the same name, the winning entry and Selected Entrant will be determined by the time code provided when the Entrant submitted the name in the submissions process to the Contest website. The Entrant who submits the winning name first (based on the time/date code) is the official winner of the Prize. The Sponsor will contact the Selected Entrant, but if that person is not available at that point, and does not respond within the timelines stipulated, the next Entrant who submitted the same name, as determined by the official timing recorded, will be contacted and will be the official winner of the Prize, and so on. In the event that no Entrant responds within the stipulated timelines, the Sponsor may determine not to award a Prize, but reserves all rights to use the name which receives the most votes.
8. ODDS OF WINNING: the odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries and the quality of the entries and the total number of votes received for the short listed names.
9. COMMUNICATION WITH SELECTED ENTRANT: The Selected Entrant who has submitted the winning name will be notified by e-mail on or around June 21, 2018 at approximately 12:00 pm EDT. The Selected Entrant will be contacted using the e-mail address provided at the time of entry into the Contest. Upon notification, Selected Entrant must respond by e-mail, confirm eligibility, and complete all required releases within 5 business days of notification. If a Selected Entrant does not respond in accordance with these Contest Rules, he/she will be disqualified, will not receive the Prize, and the next Entrant who submitted the winning name in chronological order will be selected based on when the Entrant submitted the same name according to the time code. The Sponsor is not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of a Selected Entrant to receive notification or for the Sponsor to receive a Selected Entrant’s response.
The Prize will be available on or after July 3, 2018. Arrangements for the delivery of the Prize made be made by contacting the Sponsor, upon providing proof of identity in the form of photo identification.
If the identity of a Selected Entrant is disputed, the entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder (the individual assigned to the e-mail address for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address). Each Selected Entrant may be required to provide proof in the form of photo identification that he/she is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the selected name entry prior to being awarded the Prize.
10. RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION: the Selected Entrant must provide proof of identification and sign a Declaration of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release form to: (i) confirm compliance with the Contest Rules; (ii) agree to accept the Prize as awarded; (iii) release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor and the City of Toronto, their respective Board members and Councilors, officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns and all others associated with the administration, development and execution of the Contest (“Released Parties”), from and against any and all manner of action, cause of action, claim or demand, loss or injury, use or misuse of the Prize, suit, debt, covenant, contract, including legal fees and expenses, whatsoever, including but not limited to, claims based on negligence, breach of contract and fundamental breach, failure of any third party contractor or supplier used in connection with any aspect of the Contest to perform or deliver any goods or services, any act of God or any other event beyond the Released Parties’ control, any dissatisfaction of any kind by the Selected Entrant with any aspect of the Contest or any prize, liability for physical injury, death, or property damage which the entrants, their heirs, successors or assigns have, might have or could have suffered, by reason of or arising out of the Selected Entrant's participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by the entrant of the prizes as awarded; and (iv) indemnify the Released Parties against any loss, damage or expense, including legal fees, that any of the Released Parties may suffer or incur as a result of any non-compliance by an entrant with any of the Contest Rules or participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by the Selected Entrant of the Prize. By entering and participating in this Contest, the Selected Entrant warrants that his or her entry is original and does not infringe any third party intellectual property and agree to assign all intellectual property rights in any name submitted to participate and enter the Contest to the Sponsor, including, but not limited to, copyright and all economic rights, including a waiver of moral rights, with no compensation or further consent required.
Signed Declaration and Release forms must be returned to the Sponsor by e-mail within five (5) business days after they are sent to a Selected Entrant.
The Sponsor is not responsible for: (i) incorrect or inaccurate entry information which may affect a person’s ability to participate in the Contest or be awarded the Prize, including but not limited to human error, technical malfunctions, lost or delayed entries for any reason, omission, or any combination thereof, and entries which fail to fully comply with these Contest Rules; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (iii) lost, incomplete, delayed, mutilated or misdirected entries or Declaration and Release forms; (iv) injury or damage to the entrant’s computer or to any other individual’s computer related to or resulting from participating in, or downloading any material regarding the Contest or accepting the Prize; (v) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize; (vi) the security or privacy of information transmitted via computer networks or for breaches of privacy due to interference by third party computer “hackers” or otherwise; or (vii) late, lost, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential winner; any part of a Contest prize that cannot be awarded due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather, acts of terrorism or other factors beyond the Released Parties' control.
11. CONDUCT: The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant it finds to be: (i) violating these Contest Rules; (ii) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; (iii) acting in an un-sportsperson-like or disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; (iv) using a devise to automate voting or to submit votes for a particular design in ways other than those intended within the Contest Rules. Any attempt by an Entrant or any other individual to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and/or civil laws. Should any such attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
12. OTHER CONDITIONS: The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or amend this Contest at any time and in any way, without prior notice. Without limiting the foregoing, if for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, such as tampering, the Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Contest and select an Entrant based on the selection criteria above based on all eligible entries received by the Name Submission End Date. The Sponsor reserves the right to reject any name submitted, short listed by the Jury, and/or that received the most votes as the successful name. The Sponsor may choose to retain its original name, not select a successful name, not award a contest prize, and/or select a different new name. The Sponsor reserves the right to make the final decision on a finalist name submitted and recommended by the Jury.
Publicity: Participation in the Contest and/or acceptance of the Prize constitutes the Selected Entrants' permission for the Sponsor or its designee to interview the Selected Entrant, to photograph, film and record the Selected Entrant, and to use in any media now or, hereafter known, throughout the world, in perpetuity, his/her name, prize won, biographic information, likeness, photograph, voice, audio or video recording and/or any statements made by him/her regarding the Contest for purposes of publicity or promotion without notice or additional compensation, notification or permission, in perpetuity, except where prohibited by law. The Selected Entrant agrees to sign a publicity release confirming such consent prior to acceptance of the Prize, except where prohibited by law. The Selected Entrant's identified guest will also be required to sign a publicity release before the Selected Entrant can claim the Prize, except where prohibited by law.
Law: The Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial, municipal and local laws. The Contest and these Contest Rules shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein, and any dispute shall be adjudicated by the courts sitting in Toronto, Ontario.
Privacy: Personal information collected from entrants is authorized by the City of Toronto Act, 2006 and City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 23, Civic Theatres Toronto, for the purposes of administering the Contest.
Intellectual Property: All intellectual property of the Sponsor, including but not limited to trademarks, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, images, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by the Sponsor. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or other intellectual property without the express written consent of the Sponsor is strictly prohibited.
By entering and participating in this Contest, Entrants warrant that any entry is original and does not infringe any third party intellectual property and assign all intellectual property rights in any materials created to participate and enter the Contest, including the name submitted, to the Sponsor, including, but not limited to, copyright and all economic rights, including a waiver of moral rights, with no compensation or further consent required.
The new name selected by the Sponsor may be viewed by visiting the Contest website www.CivicTheatresToronto.com.